Our Activities include:
1. Support Groups for HIV positive Women and their families
Monthly sessions held at Mildmay Hospital’s Education department; in these sessions individuals share their knowledge and experiences with each other. Professionals contribute to these sessions providing the latest information on managing conditions.
2. Outreach Visits
Home and hospital visits to clients who are housebound or hospitalised, this project is essential as most of our clients are Refugees and live in isolation.
3. Sexual Health Outreach Activities
Information leaflets and condom distribution to the wider community.
4. Peer Support - prevention, treatment, care and support project
A project developed to support women who receive a positive diagnosis during routine antenatal testing and their partners. The process involves running support groups and providing peer support as and when needed. Members of Rise Community Action who have had positive diagnosis while pregnant but are now empowered provided the peer support. The support group/discussion groups are aimed at better informing both the female and their male partners the benefits of taking early HIV test and interventions to reduce the mother to child HIV transmission. The topics of discussion included:
a. HIV treatment during and after pregnancy
b. Safer sex
d. Breast feeding
5. Workshops and trainings on HIV awareness and general sexual health
6. Public speaking by HIV positive women at Community events, in churches, schools etc
7. Befriending and budding services
8. Liaising with key mainstream and local service providers to update and keep them informed of the changing needs of people living with HIV/AIDS.
To go with much of our specialist activities Rise community Action also provides
- Weekly exercise classes
- Arts & crafts making
- Empowerment sessions
We remain grateful to our funders and we will be seeking in the coming year to address this area even more because as an organisation it is important that the organisation is in position to employ paid staff, to address the urgent issues of our beneficiaries.
Our funders over the past year have been:
- Association of London Government
- City & Hackney Primary Care Trust
- Community Empowerment Network
- Government Office for London
- Hackney Council for Voluntary Services
- Neighbourhood Renewal Fund
- Local Network Fund
We are also fortunate to receive donations from friends and well wishers of Rise Community Action as they try to ensure that the organisation survives. We have been able to generate some funds from the sale of some craft items produced by our users; this is an aspect of our activity we would dearly like to develop.
Charity Number 1147332 Company Number 05617122